Monsoon season in the Southwest United States can be brutal, subjecting commercial and industrial roofs to harsh conditions, including heavy rains, high winds, hail, and dust storms. These extreme weather events can take a toll on your roof's integrity. As we approach the end of monsoon season, it's crucial for businesses to conduct proactive roof maintenance to prevent damage resulting from rain during the upcoming winter months.
Key Maintenance Items for Commercial and Industrial Roofs
- Roof Inspection: Comprehensive inspections of your commercial or industrial roof. Check for visible signs of damage, loose materials, or compromised seams. Always hire a professional roofing contractor experienced in commercial and industrial roofing.
- Flashing Integrity: Examine the condition of roof flashings, which are crucial for preventing water intrusion at vulnerable points such as vents, skylights, and HVAC units. Replace or repair any damaged flashings to maintain a watertight seal.
- Drainage Assessment: Ensure that roof's drainage system is functioning optimally. Remove debris and sediment from gutters, downspouts, and drainpipes to prevent water backup. Improper drainage can lead to ponding water and, eventually, leaks.
- Seal Vulnerable Penetrations: Check the seals around roof penetrations like pipes, chimneys, and HVAC units. These seals can deteriorate over time, allowing moisture to infiltrate your building. Reapply sealant or replace damaged seals as needed.
- Skylights and Roof Hatches: Inspect the seals and flashing around skylights and roof hatches. Ensure they are intact and in good condition to prevent leaks.
- Gutter Maintenance: Clean and inspect gutter system, ensuring that brackets are securely in place and water flows freely. Poorly maintained gutters can lead to water damage to your building's exterior.
- Roof Coating: Consider applying a roof coating if your commercial or industrial roof doesn't have one. Roof coatings provide an additional layer of protection against UV radiation and moisture. They can extend the lifespan of your roof and improve energy efficiency.
- Tree Limb Trimming: Overhanging tree limbs can scrape and damage your roof's surface, particularly asphalt roofs. Trim back branches to prevent future damage.
- HVAC Unit Service: Schedule a maintenance check for HVAC units located on the roof. Ensure that condensation lines and drains are clear to prevent water buildup.
Proactive post-monsoon maintenance is an investment in the longevity of your commercial or industrial roof. By addressing issues now, you can prevent costly damage during the upcoming winter season. Additionally, it ensures the safety and security of your business operations. If you encounter any significant concerns reach out to consult a licensed and experienced roofing professional who specializes in commercial and industrial roofing solutions.
About Global Roofing Group
With over five decades of experience, Global Roofing Group is a trusted name in commercial and industrial roofing solutions across the Southwest United States with locations in Phoenix, Tucson, and Las Vegas. We are licensed, bonded, and insured to operate in Arizona, Nevada, California, New Mexico, and Texas. Our roofing expertise covers a wide range of projects, from warehouses to manufacturing facilities and commercial complexes, ensuring roofs are built to withstand the region's challenging weather conditions while minimizing operational disruptions. Global Roofing Group is your partner in maintaining the integrity and durability of your commercial or industrial roof.